Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The unsuccessful aggressive driver

Sometimes I find myself feeling sorry for an aggressive driver. Well... more like a driver who tries to be aggressive but fails. This usually takes place late afternoon, before rush hour, on the highway at an accelerated speed. You're driving- music is up very loud, windows are down, sun is shining, you're going at a steady 80mph, and you're position is the tail end of a strand of cars going the same speed. You're happy, you're cruising, and you're comfortable. You take a moment to practice safe driving and glance in your rear view mirror only to see what is usually an older BMW, Mercedes or Lexus. The windows are tinted, or sometimes down just enough to see that the driver is a middle-aged fellow who thinks he's far too divine to be driving himself. Never on a cell phone, and his look is very.... focused. I see this car, this person, driving at a faster pace than my our (remember, there's about 5 cars ahead of me - I'm just following suit) comfortable 80mph, but I do not get over into the right lane: for I can see, just a few cars lengths ahead, a tractor trailer with its 4-ways on as it begins to enter an uphill expedition. I think, "Okay, this guy behind me will see that I can't get over for him, because that would be silly. He will be patient, or hey- maybe he'll join in on the group cruise." No. He abruptly passes on the right, around me, and continues to accelerate his speed only to moments later slam on his brakes as he quickly realizes the tractor trailer has maxed out on 40mph. My 5 car posse and I pass by the aggressive driver and shake our heads in disappointment at his failed attempt to pass. The aggressive driver wannabe then merges over behind me once more and we are now a 7 car parade. Now here's where the pity comes in. This one episode, failed attempt, turns into several. Usually 3 or 4 until you don't think the fellow could possibly take one more rejection. But still, he tries. And though you're not going to help him succeed, a part of you roots for him- hoping he will maybe drive over his oppressors and he will get ahead. If only. Finally, after another and last failed attempt, you decide that you're tired of watching and are, too, ready to leave the parade. You see an opportunity to pass on the right and you take it. This is my favorite. Its your first attempt at getting ahead and you're successful. The driver behind you then, whether he knows it or not, is forced to follow you in shame- as though he is getting his first lesson on how to drive aggressively...or just how to drive...successfully. You discover that his goal was to get off the very same exit as you - and sometimes, if you're lucky- get to the same destination. You look cool and composed, for you know that you are the better driver. And it is dubbed a victory in the driving world. A victory indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is me but I never feel bad for the aggressive driver. I go out of my way to make sure that aggressive driver is not cutting in front of my because they chose to speed past 2 cars. It does not get them farther and it just pisses me off. Just sayin'. 8)

    This is the first comment on your blog. I feel honored.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete