Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rain, rain, come and stay, stop listening to what people say!

Good day, blog seekers. I am back. Its been... well, a month. But let me tell you- I have been BUSY! Between wedding planning, gallbladder surgery and renovating a house- well- you tell me where I've had time to blog. Honestly. But hey- its my blog and you have a life, too, so let's continue on- shall we?

It's raining today and I am thoroughly enjoying it. You see I truly love the rain. I never grow tired of it like most people. In fact, it sounds like my topic is beginning to develop. Something I do grow tired of? People who complain about the rain to EVERYONE. Always goes like this:

(In an elevator, checkout line at a store, at work- anywhere)
Person 1: Smiles when eyes meet with a stranger or acquaintance.
Person 2: Smiles back.
Now it should stop here. On a normal weathered day, I believe it would. But instead, it continues...
Person 1: "Still raining out there?" -Probably knowing the other person is just as unsure- unless their shirt is damp, then this person is just a jerk. - But, let's assume, for this exercise, that the shirt is dry.
Person 2: "Oh I hope not. I'm so sick of this rain. Weatherman said it should stop this afternoon." Person 2 is always tired of the rain- even if the rain just started- and they ALWAYS know what the "weatherman" is saying, has said, or hasn't said yet.
Person 1: "Yeah, I can't stand this weather either. I hope the weatherman is right... for once."
Person 1 and Person 2 then chuckle at the terrible joke and tell each other to have a great day- which always ends with an "I'll try.."- like the rain is going to prevent them from enjoying their indoor activities for the duration of the day.
These types of conversations are happening multiple times, all day.

I have no problem with people being friendly and taking part in mildly (barely) entertaining chit-chat, but why does it always need to be hating on the rain? The only time I have ever heard rain talked about in a positive way was back in 1997 or 98, bear with me- there was an awful drought and someone said- "Well. We needed this rain so I guess its all right." 

Now, if you don't like the rain- fine. But here's a little something: I don't care for the sun- but you don't see me complaining to every person I see about it. Why? Because I recognize that people enjoy it. So how about people start noticing that I, and many others, enjoy the rain. So basically, find something else to talk about.

I also wonder if these typical conversations take place in other regions. For instance, if very windy- more often than not- do people rejoice in conversation on days where there is no wind? Or sun?- Or basically just insert any weather element and ask the question: Do these types of conversations take place? And how about where its raining all the time- are people complaining every day or are they only vocal to one another when the sun comes out- and are they happy or upset about it? I wonder...

I live in Pennsylvania- there is not too much of any particular kind of weather- its a fair amount of each- so what are people's excuses for hating on rainy days? Oh and don't even get me started on snow... okay, ENOUGH!

And that is what is bothering me today. 

1 comment:

  1. A fair amount of each? Girl, have you noticed the weather for the past week? I love you and your love for rain but I need some sun in my life. It's May, not April!

    P.S. You should blog more. That is all.
    P.P.S. I lied. One more thing, LOVE your face!

    ReplyDelete